|Forest "regeneration burns" following clearfelling in Tasmanian Oldgrowth. Photo credit Beth Heap.|
- Some people continue to believe in communism even
after the collapse of the
Soviet Unionand the exposure of the utter failure of the communist project;
- You can tell some Christians that you are gay, you love Jesus with all your heart, you practice an exemplary Christian life, you have prayed and fasted for healing, sought rights of deliverance, contemplated suicide, and ended up on anti-depressants, and they will tell you to pray harder for healing;
- If you an evolutionary biologist speciation proves evolution, irreducible complexity proves evolution, gaps in the fossil record prove evolution, entropy proves evolution, extinction proves evolution;
- If you are a forester and you log a forest that is seventy per cent rainforest species by canopy cover, napalm it, and plant rows of eucalyptus in its place, this will be sustainable in your eyes.
- as an ecological benchmark;
- to give effect to the precautionary principle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precautionary_principle); and
- to maintain ecosystem resilience in the face of environmental change (climate change, pollution, etc).
Despite the best professional efforts of many in industry, it is hard for informed observers to take foresters seriously when, for example, they:
- want to log glacial refugia rainforest communities;
- find the largest living thing in the southern hemisphere (El Grande http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Grande_(tree ) and set fire to it;
- use cable loggers on precipitous slopes and only stop when embarrassed by publicity stemming from a blockade by The Wilderness Society (at Hellyer);
- obtain exemptions from planning laws, freedom of information laws, and laws concerning threatened species;
- self regulate; and
- ostracise whistle blowers.
|Cable Logging in World Heritage value forests, Florentine Valley Tasmania|
Tag line 1: forest peace talks, silviculture, forest practices code, florentine valley, world heritage, forest protest, Ta Ann, old growth forest logging, clearfelling, El Grande, World Heritage Area, RFA, Regional Forest Agreement, corruption, Legislative Council.
Tag line 2: forest peace deal, Christine Milne, Terry Edwards, Vica Bailey, Bob Brown, Dr Pullinger, old growth forests, high conservation value forests, The Wilderness Society, Tony Burke, Michael Hodgeman.