1. In the most recent ABS census 97 per cent of the population identified as heterosexual.
2. The other three per cent comprise different and diverse communities.
3. Within the homosexual community, long term and permanent relationships are rare and extreme promiscuity is normal, however long term and permanent relationship occur.
4. The homosexual community is diverse and does not have one political view or agenda.
5. The GLBTI lobby speaks for one part of that community, and is mostly made up of far left heterosexual activists.
6. All existing Commonwealth (and most if not all State) laws discriminating against homosexual couples about things like superannuation, rights on separation etc have already been repealed/replaced.
7. There is an international movement that seeks to redefine our understanding of humanity, of gender, and of family.
8. For that reason any redefinition of marriage will be the start of the next phase of the campaign, not the end of the campaign.
9. For many people sexuality is not fixed. The GLBTI literature notes this favourably when a person chooses a homosexual lifestyle but is apoplectic when a person chooses to ‘go straight’ and leave the homosexual lifestyle.
10. Many people have made sincere and sustained efforts to change their sexuality and failed.
11. Many people have made sincere and sustained efforts to change their sexuality and succeeded.
12. No cause of homosexuality has been positively identified. None.
13. No cure for homosexuality has been positively identified though many people have ceased being homosexual as a result of a diverse range of factors and therapies.
14. A vote in favour of same sex marriage will have profound inter-generational implications for parenting, education, tolerance of diversity, religious freedom, and public health.
- Marriage at its heart is a lifetime commitment between two people
- Permanent homosexual relationship exist and should be recognised
- Failure to recognise them creates a second class of relationship and of citizenship since equal status is not accorded if these relationships are somehow not really “marriage”
- It follows that anyone opposing same sex marriage is motivated by base prejudice and hate
- Children are not necessary for marriage and not all marriages produce children
- Gender has no relevance to raising children and is not really real
- The existence of same sex marriage will make no difference at all to heterosexual marriages
- Traditionally marriage was about property, patriarchy and male privilege
- Same sex marriages in contrast are about love, freedom, rainbows, happy families and all things nice